Dear donors and friends,
Thanks to all those who came forward to help.
I spoke to the brave Gujarati girl a couple of days ago. She is a very brave and intelligent girl. Tough we spoke most of the time in Hindi (with my broken butler Hindi), for her background, she spoke English comfortably. At the end I am convinced that she has a great potential to excel, only if there a helping hand to give her a push in this time of need.
Here is what I gathered from my conversation with her:
1. She lives in Mehesena district (Unja Taluk) 85Km away from Ahmedabad.
2. Her father (an auto driver) met with an accident and could not work for 2-3 months.
3. She has two elder sisters (both married) and two brothers (one married and another is a B Com student)
4. She completed her teacher training (primary level) with distinction and applied for govt jobs advertised
5. She is currently doing a basic computer training that is required for teaching position
6. She is also doing BA (English) from Dr Ambedkar Open University and continue it even after joining a job
7. Her wish is to become an officer
8. Many NGOs and politicians visited her, but did not get any help so far
9. She is doing labor work (Rs. 30-40/day) to feed herself and her family while attending school
10. Her father is not willing to send her away from Mahesana for fear of her safety. I am trying to convince on this.
11. Immediate need is to find a job for her to stand on her own legs and to keep her mind occupied
12. She is very confident that she will be OK and her statement "I consider myself a victor, not a victim" impressed me so much.
13. I was told (by other sources) that she attempted suicide a few weeks ago. I purposefully avoided bringing it into conversation.
What we did so far:
1. We collected approximately Rs.1 lakh. We are considering all possibilities to help her the best way. I will ask your suggestions on this ASAP.
2. We are talking to several contacts (intellectuals and people in position) in India to get her a job near her place.
3. We are trying to understand what her priorities in education. She is keen on becoming an officer. We are exploring the possibilities of sending her to an English speaking course, advanced computer course (if she is interested). She was not interested in Nursing, though I thought that may fetch a quick and a comfortable job.
4. She may need psychological counseling to keep her out of depression. We are finding possibilities of getting such help. We are asking around.
Currently, Mr Kirit and Dr Raghavendra, both from Gujarat helping me on this case. Thanks to both of them apart from all donors.
Due to the sensitivity of the issue, we are very careful. But, without asking we will not be able to help. So, if someone can help us in anyway, please let me know ASAP.
We are still collecting donations. Please send if you like to help her.
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMediafirstname.lastname@example.org, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to email@example.com
TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCastefirstname.lastname@example.org OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/
Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/