We are planing to send a letter to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on SC/ST welfare (copy attached). In this letter there are some important issues. You are requested to pressurise the Govt. for the same by writing same type of letters.
Dr. Uaday Singh
Deptt. of Applied Mathematics
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: uaday singh <usingh2280@yahoo.
To: Lalchand <lcpbhu@rediffmail.
Sent: Mon, 28 December, 2009 11:13:37 AM
Parliamentary Standing Committee on SC/ST welfare
Loksabha Secretariat, Parliament House Annexe
Subject: Failure of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Govt. of India in proper implementation of SC/ST reservation on teaching posts in the institutes/universi
Greetings. In continuation of our earlier representation dated 20.08.2009, we would like to elicit the following facts in the matter for your kind consideration and necessary action:
1. We have filed an RTI application in the MHRD to obtain current status of SC/ST representation in teaching posts in the Centrally Funded Universities and Institutes of Higher Education (CFUIHEs) under the Control of MHRD (copy of our RTI application is attached as Annexure-1). In the first instant, we came across to a shocking situation of MHRD that it has no statistical data about the SC/ST representation in teaching posts in universities / institutes. The MHRD forwarded our RTI application to the UGC for providing information about the central universities and to the other institutes for providing information individually.
2. The information provided by the UGC and some other institutes shows alarming situation of SC/ST representation in teaching posts in CFUIHEs under the control of MHRD even after 60 years of implementation of Constitution of independent India. The extract of the information with reference is given in the following table:
(Based on information received under RTI during November-December, 2009)
Sl. No. University/Institut
Total SC+ST Total SC+ST Total SC+ST
1 Aligarh Muslim Uni. 170 0 357 1 857 0 UGC, No.F.25-15/2009(
2 BHU, Varanasi 346 0 680 0 1367 103 do
3 Delhi University 305 0 644 0 681 52 do
4 Hyderabad Univ. 95 5 143 10 282 24 do
5 Jamia Millia Islamia 109 1 176 0 434 71 do
6 JNU, Delhi 161 0 288 0 271 34 do
7 North East Hill Univ. 81 0 112 3 151 13 do
8 Pondicherry Univ. 69 0 138 1 253 23 do
9 Vishva Bharti 62 2 127 6 352 33 do
10 Assam Univ. 28 2 75 5 163 22 do
11 Tezpur Univ. 32 0 46 3 90 13 do
12 Nagaland Univ. 44 7 50 15 114 52 do
13 Mizoram Univ. 43 0 67 0 228 27 do
14 BBAU Lucknow 22 0 43 1 65 10 do
15 MGA Hindi Univ. 15 1 10 1 41 5 27/2008.09/384/
16 MAN URDU Univ. 32 1 58 0 151 16 UGC, No.F.25-15/2009(
17 Allahabad Univ. 59 0 151 1 330 8 do
18 Manipur Univ. 29 1 69 3 122 7 do
19 Rajiv Ghandi Univ. 13 0 27 0 84 3 do
20 EFL Univ. 25 2 42 3 59 15 do
21 Tripura Univ. 16 0 27 3 54 11 do
22 HNB GARWHAL Univ. 29 0 57 2 128 8 do
23 Guru Ghasi Das Univ. 35 0 57 1 128 15 do
24 Dr. HG Univ. 50 0 92 2 178 14 do
25 UCMS 27 0 44 1 73 3 do
26 CIIL/RLCs 5 0 25 5 44 5 F.1/11-217/2009-
27 RSV Tiruputi 8 0 15 1 47 6 RSV/ADMN/RTIA/
28 CIH Agra 5 1 13 2 30 6 2-21/RTI/2009-
29 ISM Dhanbad 57 0 55 1 110 5 124/PIO/2008/
30 NIT Rourkela 57 0 71 7 72 13 NITR/ES/RTI/
31 NIT Patna 20 0 40 0 82 3 NITP/2918(A)
32 NIT Warangal Information not provided 163 20 PIO/2009/, Nil.11.09
33 NIT Suratkal Institute has asked for Rs. 2.00 for photocopy charges NITK/RTI-PIO/
34 NIT Kurukshetra 22 0 43 0 85 5 Gen.-I/RTI/3763/
35 NIT Silchar 17 0 33 1 66 8 PA/214/09/9361, 23.11.09
36 NIT Srinagar 16 0 35 0 88 0 NIT/PD/2009/
37 NIT Agartala 15 0 26 4 59 17 NITA-29(1-RTIA)
38 NIT Tiruchirappalli N P 2 N P 2 N P 27 RTI/14/2009, 2.12.2009
39 MNNIT Allahabad 37 0 74 1 148 11 364/IC/2009, 8.12.2009
40 NIT Raipur 35 0 69 3 138 9 NITRR/Estt.Gaz.
41 NIT Hamirpur Institute has asked for Rs. 2.00 for photocopy charges NIT/H/PIO/2009/
46 IIT Bombay Combined sanctioned strength is 637 2 AO/Admin-1/2009, 16.12.09
47 IIT Gandhinagar Combined sanctioned strength is 90 0 do
48 IIT Indore Combined sanctioned strength is 90 0 do
49 IIT Kharagpur Combined sanctioned strength is 726 7 HT/3-9/RTI-MHRD/
50 IIT Kanpur Combined sanctioned strength is 402 2 Estt./PIO/138-
51 IIITs Reply awaited
52 IIMs Reply awaited
Percentage of SC+ST representation at the level of Assistant Professor: 8.86.
Percentage of SC+ST representation at the level of Associate Professor: 2.13.
Percentage of SC+ST representation at the level of Professor: 1.04.
Overall representation of SC+ST in teaching posts: 5.06.
3. The data presented in the table shows that against 22.5 %, there is only 5.06% representation of SCs and STs in teaching positions. Also, some institutes like NITs/IITs have claimed that SC/ST reservation is applicable at the entry level post (i.e., Lecturer or Assistant Professor) only and not applicable in the post of Associate Professor and Professor. This is not true. As per the directives of DoPT, Govt. of India, SC/ST reservation is applicable in all direct recruitments (i.e. posts of group A, B, C, D) since 1950. Moreover, order No. F. No. 6-30/2005 U-5 dated 6th December, 2005 of MHRD and UGC guidelines (F. No. 1-5/2006 (SCT) dated 25.08.2006, Clause 6(a)) on SC/ST reservation states that
Reservation is applicable to all teaching posts such as the posts of Lecturers, Readers, Professors, or by whatever other nomenclature the posts are known, and to all posts of non-teaching staff of all the Universities, Deemed to be Universities, Colleges, and other grant-in-aid or research institutes and Centres.
Except University of Delhi and Jamia Millia Islamia, most of the Universities which are under the control of UGC have just started to provide SC/ST reservation in the post of Associate Professor (Reader) and Professor also. The institutes like IITs /IIMs /IIITs /NITs /NIFFT /NCERT etc. which are deemed to be universities under the direct control of MHRD are not providing SC/ST reservation on the post of Associate Professor and Professor (copies of some advertisements are attached as Annexure-2). Apart from the directives of MHRD /UGC, the DoPT has launched several special recruitment drives for SC/ST to fill up the backlog reserved vacancies. Except very few central universities, no university/institut
4. There are also some variances and anomaly in the directives of MHRD for reservation in teaching posts in different institutes. In case of IITs, the MHRD's order F. No. 16-8/2000-TS.
5. It appears that the MHRD is not implementing reservation policy uniformly and sincerely on teaching posts in the universities and institutes under its control. Issuing some directives on reservation is only eye wash of the SC/ST community of India unless these are not implemented uniformly and strictly. The poor representation of SC/ST community and non-implementation of SC/ST reservation and other welfare schemes in letter and spirit in CFUIHEs have arisen so many questions such as (i) whether MHRD is sincere and sensitive towards the Article 46 of the Constitution (ii) what been SC and ST Commissions doing since last 50 years (iii) what been SC/ST MPs doing in the parliament since last 50 years (iv) what been parliament standing committee on SC/ST welfare doing since last 50 years. However, there are various reports of the parliamentary standing committee on SC/ST welfare available on the website of Loksabha in which enactment of SC/ST reservation bill and enhancement in the powers of SC/ST commission have been recommended. Unfortunately, Govt. is not taking care of these recommendations.
6. It is also worth to mention that institutes particularly, technical institutes admits the SC/ST students as per reservation policy but do not bother about their welfare during the study. The rate of failure/dropout of SC/ST students in the technical institutes like IITs/NITs/IIMs/
7. Further, due to their poor academic performance most of the SC/ST students do not complete their degrees in the stipulated time or leave the institute without completing the degree. Also due to poor performance most of the SC/ST students do not get employment through campus placement. The high failure rate of SC/ST students in these institutes can be reduced by providing some extra care in the form of timely distribution and extra classes for week students. It is doubtful that authorities / teachers of institutes other than SC/ST community may be sensitive about the welfare of SC/ST students. Therefore, a sufficient number of SC/ST teachers in the CFUIHEs are required for overall development of the community.
8. Most of the institutes have SC/ST Cells only for the name shake. Officer-in-charge of SC/ST Cells are junior officers (most probably non-SC/ST) of institutes who do not dare to ask the higher authorities for doing something for the welfare of SC/ST students and employees in the institutes. It is also worth to mention that there is no law for punitive action against the heads of institutes who do not implement schemes of SC/ST welfare properly. In the absence of law for punishment these officers do not bother about the welfare of SC/ST students and employees. Usually SC/ST people approach to SC/ST Commissions for their grievances but, unfortunately, the SC/ST Commissions are not given full powers for the safeguard of SC/ST community. The decisions of SC/ST Commissions in any matter are treated as only recommendation.
9. Most important and sensitive issue is the representation of SC/ST candidates in the Governing bodies (Executive Councils/Boards, Academic Council etc.) of CFUIHEs. As per the UGC guidelines referred above, there should be SC/ST representatives in Executive Boards and Academic Councils of CFUIHEs. In practice there are hardly any institute where we can see SC/ST representative in their governing bodies.
10. The issues raised above, clearly indicate that Article 46 of the Constitution and reservation policy has not received proper attention and respect in the institutes of higher education under the control of MHRD even after various recommendations of UGC/SC-ST Commission/Parliame
Sir, in view of above facts, you are humbly requested to kindly look personally into this sensitive matter and take necessary action in the following manner:
a) Kindly take a project to visit the universities/
b) Kindly ask the MHRD to implement SC/ST reservation in teaching posts uniformly and strictly in all the universities/
c) Kindly ensure to make it mandatory to have at least one SC/ST representative in the Governing Bodies and Academic Councils of CFUIHEs.
d) Kindly ask the MHRD to make a provision that SC/ST scholarships should be directly distributed to the eligible SC/ST students through a single channel either institute or UGC so that students can get their scholarships at the starting of academic session.
e) Kindly ask the Govt. of India to give full powers of High Court to SC/ST Commissions.
f) Kindly ask the Govt. of India to enact SC/ST reservation Bill including punitive action against the officers responsible for non-implementation of SC/ST reservation and other welfare schemes.
g) Kindly ensure effective implementation of policies/schemes for SC/ST welfare in letter and spirit by any other method which you feel necessary and appropriate.
With best regards.
(Dr. Lal Chand Prasad)
New F. 8, Hyderabad Colony
(Dr. Uaday Singh)
Dr. Uaday Singh
Deptt. of Applied Mathematics
Attachment(s) from uaday singh
1 of 1 File(s)
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMediaemail@example.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to firstname.lastname@example.org
TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCasteemail@example.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/
Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/