Wednesday, November 25, 2009

[ZESTCaste] Gujarat girl's rehabilitation - looking for help

 

Dear donors and friends,

For my query to find the whereabouts of this brave girl, I got an immediate reply from brother Kirit Parmar promising his help to locate her. I am in touch with him.

I am also happy that a few donors came forward (I did not ask for donations) opening their pockets to help her. Thanks to them. Though monetary help is important, more than that rehabilitation is more important. I am looking for someone who can help her to get a suitable job. If someone can help (through their contacts with high officials or schools etc), please let me know.

Also, I decided to ask for donations as well. If anyone is willing to help her, we will collect it and disburse it through Mr Kirit Parmar.

Interestingly, Mr Parmar's life is a great example of how a spirited individual can overcome challenges and scale greater heights in life. So, I would like to send you his story which I think is a remarkable one. On my request, he sent me a link and I am forwarding it to you.

I am sorry, I did not take his permission. Still, good stories are to be told far and wide. Please read his remarkable story.

Br Parmar, please pardon me for sending your story without your permission.

With regards

Benjamin

http://wuyeseffect.com/index.php/ambassadors/kirit/

Date Added: 22 March 2009

'Yes' to education itself is empowering, inspiring and motivating for me and it has been playing major role in my personal development. Indirectly, it is leading towards the development of my family and untouchable community. I was born in 1970 in poor untouchable family in Hindu caste system in Gujarat state, India. After six months of my birth, my mother passed away in a road accident. At that time, my three sister and brothers were very young and my father was suffering from eye disease 'Retinitis pimentos'. However, I was raised at different places i.e. orphan's home which was run by Christian missionary where I was raised since six months of age up to five years as there was no one who could take care of me in my family. My secondary socialization up to 16 years of my age took place in Gandhi Ashram under Mahatma Gandhi's life principles and by the time my father got remarried. After few years of my stay in Gandhi Ashram I learnt that my father was unable to pay my annual hostel accommodation fees and for that, I was asked to leave the Gandhi Ashram. At very young age I requested school authority to give me work which can compensate my fees. After long discussion, school authority agreed to my suggestion. I was given work to clean 10 class rooms after school hours which I did with honor and completed my schooling. During my stay in Gandhi Ashram (1976-1986), I learnt the importance of education and Gandhi's principles at the same time I also learnt that I am poor untouchable who religiously do not have rights like; spiritual, educational, political and also human rights.

After 10th grad (1986), my family asked me to earn something to support family financially. I started working as a daily wage laborer in agricultural farms and factories. My step mother used to warn me many a times that 'if you do not earn then you will not get your meal and also won't be allowed to stay in this house'. During my work, I met many people with different objectives in their life but I was not satisfied with myself. I wanted to help people like me though I was suffering. After few years, I got to know about master level academic program in Social Work at Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai, India. Without informing my step mother I joined 11th grad (1989) school simultaneously I was working. After a year, my step mother came to know about my study, she compelled me to leave the school and I did, as I did not have any other place to live in. Once my brother offered me a job in village, I agreed to his job offer with my condition to allow me to study in village school. I completed my 12th grad in vernacular (Gujarati, 1992-1993). Now time came for university, this time, I realized that I should leave house for betterment future of my family. I left my house on my own risk and took admission in university under scheduled caste category (untouchable). I completed Bachelor of Arts (BA) (1993-1996) with a second class honor (Medium of instruction was English) from The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Gujarat, India. While university studies, I did evening job at ice cream parlor. But still my dream was not achieved, I wanted to do Master in Social Work, and task was very tough ahead.

My university education gave me confidence in which I felt that 'yes' I can do it, I started preparing for MSW competitive academic entrance test. In the year 1999-2001 I completed MSW with specialization in Urban and Rural Community Development from TISS ( www.tiss.edu ). I got a job in field rural community development in Council for Advancement of people's Action and rural technology (CAPART) under aegis of Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India (2001-2003). [In July 2002, I was invited to participate in International AIDS conference and skill building workshops at Barcelona, Spain with full scholarship]. I worked as a district Gender Officer,(2003-2004) in Department of Women and Child Development, Government of Gujarat under Integrated Population Development Project(IPD) funded by United Nation Population Development Activities (UNFPA). I worked as a social worker (2004-2006) for voluntary organization working in grassroots level for most deprived scavenger community among untouchable castes. My objectives were to build bridge or minimize internal communal stress in order to reduce the violence and conflict between communities. In 2005, I received the prestigious Ford Foundation International Fellowship award (http://www.fordifp.net/index.aspx?id=225) to pursue further study in Human Rights at University of Birmingham, UK (www.bham.ac.uk ). In year 2007, I participated in Spirituality and Social work conference at Dominican University, Illinois, Chicago, the USA, organized by Arizona State University. After I returned from UK, I worked in India for a year and then went to Philadelphia, USA to work as a social worker.

I strongly believe my sacrifice, struggle and living away from home for education has brought better life for my family and community. Therefore, education is the only tool for both genders for their holistic development. If person develops the ability to understand 'yes' in positive context, he/she would definitely be able to join this 'yes' campaign… I believe that I have inspiring skill, caliber and maturity to be become a best ambassador for respected Western Union.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An educated man without character and humility was more dangerous than a beast. If his education was detrimental to the welfare of poor, he was a curse to society.
-Babasaheb Dr B R Ambedkar

__._,_.___
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
.

__,_._,___

1 comment:

  1. Established in 1997, St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance is a leading education consultancy services providing exemplary service to students all over India. We deal in Admissions to all major professional courses in Premier Institutes across India. We are your one step solution for all career related needs, it may be MD, MBBS BE, BTech (ALL BRANCHES), , MDS, BDS, BPharm, BArch, MBA, MTech, MS, , PhD or any other courses. We provide personalized career solutions on an individual basis keeping in mind the aspirations of our client as well as the affordability factor.
    FOR ALL CAREER RELATED NEEDS CONTACT US :
    St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance,
    #2, 2nd Floor,
    J J Complex, Above Chemmannur Jewellers,
    Marthahalli - P O,
    Bangalore - 560037
    Karnataka
    e-mail :jojishpaily@gmail.com
    Contact: +91 9448516637
    +91 9886089896, +91 9449009983
    080-32416570, 41719562

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive